Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thank You

With the reach of the 1,000,000th review at HPFF, I've been organizing a few things there and it's made me think quite a bit about my own reviewes and reviewers.

I have been a member of HPFF for a few years now and I've been a part of their staff for nearly as long. It means a lot of things in the day to day, but one thing that it doesn't mean are many thanks - so, for as much as reviews can mean to a person - to a staff member, they are inclined to mean much, much more.

As of this note, I have been the lucky recipient of 373 reviews on two stores and two one-shots and, while it certainly isn't the largest number the site has ever seen, I appreciate it all the same.

I've had some comical reviews - ranging from the short and obviously confused ("wow......very um.....deep") to the outright attempts at offensive (""). It's almost a pity that I've deleted the story now but, when I recieved my first flame, I threw an e-party - because you're not really a fanfiction author until you annoy someone to the point of leaving a snotty review. (I"ve gotten a lot more of those since.)

Knowing that I can't mention everyone, because there are a lot of reviews and quite a few regular reviewers, I feel compelled, still, to mention a few of my favorites. if you've been left out of the list, I assure you, your input was still appreciated.

As great compliments go, there are few reviews more flattering than the one Guilded Sorcerer left on Chronicles of Life. In fact, I found it so flattering that I was afraid to answer it for months on end - because I was terrified to find out that this person secretly harbored a deep seated pathology and was secretly an idiot or - worse, just screwing with me. steve34 was responsible for a very lengthy e-mail delving into the characters featured in COL and, as much as e-mails that compare me to my characters usually freak me out, it's nice to know that a person can find your characters so real that they feel a need to get into them further - to better understand.

Of course, one can scarcely mention great reviewers without giving a nod to timeturner, PhoenixStorm, and Crystal Allen all of whom, at various times, have followed my stories and left great reviews.

All in all, thanks to everyone who has reviewed and, here's hoping, to everyone who will review in the future.

No comments: